Who we are
Since 2007, YMCA Action Sports (YAS) have been driving the development of quality youth led Action Sports events and programs across Australia.
Through our training workshops, school programs, coaching clinics, skate parks and leagues, we engage over 250,000 people every year. Our events and program framework is sanctioned by Skate Australia Inc., the recognised national sporting organisation for skateboarding.
The YMCA Action programs are aimed at enabling, supporting and improving people’s capacity to be active socially, mentally and physically. Our aim is to assist community groups, schools, local and state governments to bring their recreation and community safety strategies to life, through facilitating programs and outreach activities that activate local skate parks and get more people active more often.
Our programs are designed to engage the whole community. The YMCA will activate the existing recreation infrastructure (Skate Parks), upskill local people, and implement the necessary systems and programs to achieve the following outcomes:
- Create more participation opportunities that help to establish active lifestyles for thousands of community members.
- Long term activation of public skate facilities, supporting the local economy, through the implementation of a scalable and sustainable management model of a public space.
- The engagement of young people in alternative sport and recreational activities, increasing opportunities for connectedness through common interests and physical activity.
- The development of ‘community leaders’ by providing locally based career pathways.
- The engagement of community members through volunteering opportunities.
About the YMCA
YMCA Action Sports has been around since 1996 and was established by YMCA Victoria. YMCA Victoria is a not for profit organisation that has served the Victorian community since 1853. We believe in the power of inspired young people. With over 6,500 staff and volunteers, we deliver services at more than 150 locations every day in settings including camps, community recreation and sporting facilities, swimming pools, before and after school care, early learning centres and youth services.