Skateboard coach training
Are you interested in becoming an accredited skate coach and working in your community?
Our Train the Trainer program (sanctioned by Skate Australia) upskills and trains you to become a nationally accredited skate coach and learn how to manage skateboarding competitions + programs.
Successful candidates that complete the course may get the opportunity to gain employment with Y Action Sports as a community level skate coach.
Training program overview
The three month program is delivered through both an online course and in-person session and will cover:
- Creating and implementing a skateboarding workshop session plan
- How to run a range of games for various skill levels
- Officiating skateboarding competitions: MC-ing and judging
- Basic understanding and compliance of legal, insurance and risk management
- First aid protocols and incident management responses
- Basic marketing and business management as a coach
Current scholarship opportunities
There are currently a number of scholarships available to people in communities across Australia, providing a free scholarship to complete the Train the Trainer program.
- Skate Australia Membership (Valid for one year)
- Skate Australia Skateboarding Coaching Accreditation
- Working With Children's Check (Valid for five years)First Aid (Valid for three years) and CPR certificate (Valid for one year)
- Australian Safeguarding Children and Young People certificate
- All applicants will be subject to an interview and police check.
In partnership with local councils and the Victorian Skateboarding Association, we are currently looking to train coaches for free in the following areas:
- Hobsons Bay (thanks to the Westgate Neighbourhood Fund)
- Maribyrnong (thanks to the Westgate Neighbourhood Fund)
- Brimbank City Council
- Melbourne City Council
- Yarra City Council
- Port Phillip City Council
- Moira Shire Council
- Greater Bendigo City Council
- Greater Geelong City Council
- Nillumbik Shire
- Manningham City Council
- Cairns Regional Council
- Brisbane City Council
In partnership with Sport Australia, we are currently looking to train coaches for free in the following areas:
- Limestone Coast, SA
- Coffs Harbour, NSW
- Bellingen Shire, NSW
- Clarence Valley, NSW
- Cairns, QLD
- Hobart, TAS
- Gippsland, VIC
Live somewhere else and keen to become a skateboard coach? The program outside of the scholarship opportunities is a paid opportunity. Get in touch to see if we have a course coming up near you by filling out the application form linked below.
The Train the Trainer program works with a range of councils to deliver this accreditation. View our partners.
Frequently asked questions
Am I guaranteed a job if I complete the program?
If you successfully complete the course and are part of the scholarship program you will be highly considered for a place in our national team. These opportunities will be dependent on local demand, community engagement and available funding in local areas.
How long does the program take to complete?
Over the course of three months as part of the scholarship, you will complete:
- An online practical theory course
- A practical workshop in person with our team
- A practical assessment, evaluating your capabilities
- 10 hours of practical training in programs (or for experienced coaches we will recognise prior learning)
Please note – in person workshops are subject to changes due to COVID.
YMCA Action Sports is a not-for profit social enterprise that deliver programs and events in communities across Australia in Skate, Scoot and BMX. Everything from introductory skate programs in schools to running the Street Championships at the Moomba Festival in Melbourne, and you could be a part of it.
How old do I have to be to apply?
We accept applicants for people 15 years and older. We encourage people from all backgrounds and skill levels to apply.
Who is this course for?
Ideally we are looking for proficient skateboarders or people who have a solid knowledge of key foundational skills in skateboarding. We are looking for passionate people with a positive attitude who enjoy working with and helping young people learn and develop transferrable skills through skateboarding.
Train the Trainer can also train anyone with an interest in skateboarding and working with young people. The Y trains school teachers, community and organisational officials and volunteers who work with young people and would like to become accredited to teach skateboarding.